Do you ever stop in the middle of your busy life and take a "you" break? By a "you" break, I mean something that is just for you, that gives you joy, peace etc... I know it can be difficult with all that goes on around us to take advantage of those opportunities. It's something I have been working very hard at this year. Stopping and really enjoying life and doing things that might not be for other people, it's just what makes me happy. All that brings me to this, my recent "me" break. I live in Florida, northern Florida, the panhandle area to be more precise. It's a stunningly beautiful area, lots of green areas, blue skies, farm land. I haven't always lived here, I spent the first 30 years of my life up north, Rhode Island and Maine. As a transplant I was slow to adapt some of the more interesting cultural ideas of the South. Like boiling peanuts. The first time someone offered me a boiled peanut, the only thought that went through my head was, "why would anyone boil a peanut". I didn't try it, and it took me at least a year before I would try it. Once I did however, I understood why someone would do such a thing, IT'S FREAKING DELICIOUS!!! ok, so back to my "me" break. Yesterday I needed some quiet time, some recharging time. When I want this I generally want to go for a ride, music playing, cold drink handy. I decided to drive to the other side of the county, I picked up a bag of hot boiled peanuts at my favorite roadside stand, a cold diet coke, and drove the roads. It's peaceful, other than the music which recharges my soul, and calming. Truly, a perfect treat. Here are a couple photos I took along the way.
I love seeing the road stretched out before me, beckoning me.
A bag of perfect boiled peanuts, slightly salty, hot, soft.
These little babies are nirvana.
Two great tastes that go great together. I rarely drink soda anymore (it used to be my addiction), but when I have these peanuts they just cry out for an ice cold Diet Coke. I stopped along the road to enjoy my snack.
However you choose to take time for yourself is up to you, but do it. You won't be sorry, and you may just be asking yourself why you don't do it more often. You deserve to be as good to yourself as you are to everyone else in your world. Take a little "you" break today.
No comments:
Post a Comment