Yesterday, I made a plan for my day. A day with no grandchildren around, filled with doing things I enjoy, like gardening, reading, relaxing etc... Of course, as often happens, the universe didn't decide to align itself with my plan. Luckily I'm one of those people who can adapt to change. It all started off quite well, I sat with my cup of coffee in quiet and solitude, and then I decided to gather the necessary equipment for canning the tomatoes I'd been given: canner-check, tomatoes-check, lemon juice-check, jars....wait where are all my quart size jars? I searched all the areas they might be hiding to no avail. I had only 1 jar left. Well darn. Okay, hmmmm, can it wait until Friday when I have another child free day? No not really, the tomatoes are pretty ripe. Well, that means a trip to the store. Now in many cases, this just involved running down the street, but not for me, the nearest stores selling what I would need are almost 30 minutes away. That requires putting makeup on, fixing my hair, and since I was going I might as well get anything else I needed. List in hand I headed out. Walmart was first where I picked up salt, low dose aspirin and jars....oh wait, I need a birthday gift for the weekend, a quick call later to see what the recipient would like found me in the sporting goods dept looking for a knife. One Bear Grylls knife later, and I was headed to the checkout. Next up Lowe's. We are building a playhouse for our 2 year old granddaughter, and so far it has been entirely from scrap or discarded wood, we now are at the point to have to purchase the roof material and paint. After checking all the possibilities, seriously I was dragged around through every single item that could be used as the roof until I gave up and left it to my other half in search of pretty paint. That's more my department, the pretty paint part. I chose two shades of purple, and got on my way. Except in Lowe's we received a phone call asking up to pick up a pizza on our way home for the little people. Okay, one more detour and one pizza later, we headed home. By this time, my carefully planned day had been changed by about 2 1/2 hours. Arrived home, canned tomatoes, and then went to relax. What should have happened next was to get on with the rest of the things I wanted to accomplish, what actually happened is none of those things. I sat staring at television, mindlessly. I had a headache and didn't really feel like doing a darn thing, so I didn't. No gardening, no reading, no lovely adult friendly Red Beans and Rice with Vegan Chroizo dinner. I didn't cook at all. I threw together a salad. It was a wonderful salad, but still. And you know what? I don't feel bad at all about it, I don't feel bad about staring at television for hours, or not cooking, or neglecting my garden another day. Life's too short, and sometimes the universe is telling you to watch General Hospital, I recommend when that happens that you take Madame Universe up on the offer and sit down for a good dose of Sonny Corinthos and enjoy. Those moments don't last forever and then it's back to reality. Here's the delicious salad we ate for dinner last night. It's comprised of lots of baby greens (spinach, arugula, chard etc...), banana peppers, Greek olives, onions, and roasted beets, with a balsamic viniagrette.
No comments:
Post a Comment