Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The sound of silence...

What's that sound....ahhh yes, it's the sound of quiet, beautiful silence. No children today. I won't even know how to act around here. I swear the last two days has run me ragged. Yesterday the 2 year old and the 6 year old little darlings were anything but darling for the first half of the day. Thankfully after a mandatory afternoon nap the 6 year old woke up in a better mood, the 2 year old...well unfortunately I think that's here to stay for the foreseeable future. She's into absolutely everything, she looks adorable doing it, but darn she's a feisty little thing. In addition to my two little darlings their 11 year old stepsister is here this week so she's also been here. She really is a lovely child but while I don't know all the circumstances, I think comes from a less structured background. She craves attention constantly, which is heartbreaking and something I'm not really used to. Last night when I was getting ready to make dinner she asked, "Do you make dinner every night?", and had a bit of incredulity to her voice, I was a bit taken aback and replied, "well yes, how else would we eat? Don't you make dinner at night at your house?"......"no, sometimes we do, and sometimes we just have cereal or ramen or snacks." she then asked while I was teaching her to set the table,"so do you always eat at the table".....okay folks,  here I am about to get on my soapbox so if you don't want to hear it, please discontinue reading the blog. I cannot stress enough, and I know you've all heard it before, but I'm about to say it again, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE eat with your kids at the table as often as you possibly can. I know that in this day of working parents and overload that it can be difficult to pull together a family meal every night, but even if you are all having something different, even if it's takeout, even if it's a bowl of cereal, please set the table, shut off the television, take away the phones, and sit down with your kids (or grandkids) and have a meal together. It gives them a sense of ritual, a sense of family, an opportunity to talk and actually be listened to without other distractions. Even if they protest, I promise you they will be happy for it down the road. I learn many things from my grandson as we sit at the table having a meal. Okay, I'm now stepping off the soapbox. Thanks to those who read all the way through.

Anyway, today is adult time, back to the kids tomorrow and then they are gone for several weeks visiting the other grandparents. I'm not really sure what to do with this luxurious time I have today. I do have to can some tomatoes that were given to me, so that's on the list. I'm also looking forward to an adult dinner, although I'm not sure what that will consist of yet, I'm not used to having that option during the week. Actually having just written that, what I wanted popped in my head. Red Beans and Rice with vegan chorizo and cornbread on the side. I make mine with lots of chunky veggies in it, and the chorizo is out of this world delicious. Okay, that's decided, now what do do with the rest of the day. I need to do a bit of gardening. My vegetable garden is on it's second planting and contains several rows of butterbeans, lots of peppers, eggplant, sweet potatoes and okra. My tomatoes are about over, it's just getting too hot here. So I need to see what needs to be done in the vegetables and also my flowers. I think after I do that I'll enjoy some reading time. I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime, here's a picture of my veg garden:

No comments:

Post a Comment