Are you anything like me? Does it seem like life just slips away so quickly and you aren't sure where the days go? Well, that's where I'm at these days folks. I can't believe it's been another full week since I posted. I really mean to update this every day or at least several times a week, but lately it just doesn't seem to happen. I made a vow a couple years ago, and really reminded myself of it at the beginning of the year, it was to be fully present in every day. So many times I found myself trying to do so many things at once and never give anyone or thing my full attention. Especially with my grandkids I want to be there fully for them. They spend most of their awake time with me, and they deserve my attention. Last week I had them every day Mon-Fri from 8a.m. until about 8p.m., except on Friday they left about 6:30p.m., so it's been busy and crazy. I haven't had days like this since my daughter was 2 and I was a stay at home mom (I soon learned I needed to work outside the home to maintain sanity). When you can start singing the songs from Super WHY and Sid the Science Kid, it starts getting rough. They will be going to visit their other grandparents in Georgia for 2 weeks, and while I'll miss them, I will be glad to have some adult time and catch up with friends and just relax with a book. Last night we had a battle royale here over dinner. I had made a baked pasta with Daiya cheese, a beautiful tossed salad and garlic bread. My granddaughter of course just ate, she loves everything her grammy makes, but my grandson is the pickiest kid ever, and just because he liked something last week, doesn't mean he will this week. He's 6. So it started with me preparing him before dinner by saying what we would be eating and that I wanted him to try a bite of salad, (he's firmly against salad, won't even TRY it). I told him I bought him a special salad dressing that used to be his dad's favorite when he was a kid, and all I wanted him to do was try one bite, and he had to chew and swallow it. Once we sat down to dinner, he absolutely refused. Not only did he refuse to try his salad, he proceeded to scrape all the sauce off his pasta and would eat only the garlic bread dipped in the sauce. I told him it was pasta and he loved pasta, but he said, "THIS is not pasta", ummmmmmm yes Brian it is, it's just a different kind, it was Ziti. The boy would not put one bite of it in his mouth. So I told him that was fine, it he wouldn't even try to eat his dinner, there was no dessert, that's the rule. Dessert last night was homemade vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies we made earlier in the day. By the end of dinner, he had eaten nothing and left the table, about an hour later he started with it wasn't fair because everyone else got cookies and he didn't. Well, I explained (once again), that everyone else ate dinner and he didn't. He stomped off muttering about it not being fair. Seriously, it's all just exhausting. I know kids are like this, but this is the pickiest kid I've ever come across in my life. My son was picky about vegetables, but I could hide anything in a salad and he would eat it. If this grandson of mine even sees a speck of green in something, he demands to know what it is. So after that lovely dinner, a day full of playing Uno, Wii bowling, chasing the 2 year old and such, I fell into bed at 9p.m. and slept slept slept. I'm not really sure what to do about this boy and his eating habits, especially at dinner, do I make one dinner and adapt to his eating habits, do I make what everyone else likes to eat and make him eat it (and how exactly do I MAKE him eat it?), or do I make dinner and make something separate for him? Any advice out there?
Well, they just arrived, so it's off to face another day. Let's hope it's battle free.
No comments:
Post a Comment