Sunday, May 27, 2012

I love a Sunday morning...

One of the things that gets me through a busy week is looking forward to Sunday morning. I don't know about you, but I long for it all week long. Waking up early, sitting with my cup of coffee and the Food Network shows, lingering over the Sunday paper. Seriously, who wouldn't love that? I walked through my garden this morning and picked a few tomatoes, some bell and banana peppers. It will probably all become a salad for lunch. This week has been a tough one and I'm looking forward to quiet. With watching my grandkids at the same time I was battling the "Killer Cold", plus trying to get numerous projects completed, I feel (and unfortunately, look), exhausted. Yesterday was Millie's 2nd birthday. Yay!!! It was an outside party, did I mention it was 99 here yesterday? I was sorely tempted to get into the kiddie pool with them, but I restrained myself. They cooked hot dogs on the grill, and had cake and other lovely junkie stuff. Myself and the hostess's sister are both veg and often find ourselves in the situation at get togethers where nobody has thought of providing food that we can consume. How do you handle a situation like that? Often I make something myself to bring along, or just don't have anything until I get home, but I was thinking about situations like this last night. My mom taught me that when you have people over you take into account their likes, dislikes, allergy etc...is that a lost teaching? I still do it, when I have people over I always keep their tastes in mind when providing food and drink, and even though I don't eat meat, and quite frankly find it really disgusting to have around, if we are having a family get together, like a cookout, we provide meat options as well as the veg options. Well, enough of that, on to some of the food I've had this week. Although I have been a bit too under the weather to blog, I still took pictures to share with you now. First up, a beautiful taco salad I had for lunch one day. The night before I had made taco's for the grandkids dinner, using Boca grounds as the base. The taco salad was made from those leftovers with lettuce and orange cherry tomatoes from my garden, red onion, black beans, salsa and a dollop of guacamole.
It was so delicious. I also squirted lime all over it.

On Friday night we had a simple dinner from the makings in the garden. The highlight was a platter of Fried Green Tomatoes. If you've never had them, quit reading right now, go find some green tomatoes and get em cooked, because you are missing out on something amazing. I picked about 4 small to medium green tomatoes, and sliced them up, sprinkled with salt and pepper and let sit for 10 minutes. Here they are:
After they've been sitting, I pat them with a paper towel slightly and then continue with the recipe:

Fried Green Tomatoes

Ingredients
4 medium green tomatoes, sliced about 1/2 inch thick, sprinkled with salt and pepper
1 cup fine white cornmeal
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 TBS Creole Seasoning, I use Tony Chachere's
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 cup almond or soy milk
3 tbs canola oil

1. You will need 3 shallow bowls for dreding. In first bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. In second bowl add your milk. In last bowl combine cornmeal, breadcrumbs and Creole Seasoning.

2. Dredge your tomatoes in flour, tapping off any excess, you want a very light coating. Dip in milk, shake excess and dredge in cornmeal mixture to get a nice thick coating.

3. Heat a cast iron skilled with the 3 tbs of oil. If you don't have a cast iron, use the heaviest skillet you have, it will hold the heat better and you will need less oil.

4. Cook tomatoes in skillet over medium heat about 4 minutes per side, until golden brown. If you are cooking a large batch, keep them warm in oven set at 225 degrees.

Sauce

1/2 cup Veganaisse
1/4 cup relish, I use a homemade zucchini relish
1 tbs Louisianna Hot Sauce

Mix all the ingredients together, serve with the tomatoes.

And here is the finished product:

Okay, now you know how to make them, run and do it. As for me, this is how I plan on spending the rest of my Sunday, it's going to be another 99 degree day, so that means lots of Crystal Light Pink Lemonade:



No comments:

Post a Comment