Monday, May 14, 2012

Weekend Recap

Do you ever have one of those weekends where you know there are certain things to get done, but you never find the possibility of doing it? That was how my weekend went. I kept wanting to update this blog, but with something constantly popping up, didn't get the chance. So instead you will get a weekend recap.

Friday night....found me with my darling grandson. His other grandma and grandpa were in town last week and on Friday before he got home from school they decided to visit their other daughter in Tallahassee and took the baby Millie with them. So my grandson was out of sorts and felt very left out. I can't stand to see him sad like that and feeling dejected so I asked him if he wanted to spend the night with me, and of course he did. With nothing playing at the movies, our entertainment prospects were slim. We decided on a campfire in the backyard and a SmartDogs weenie roast. Brian LOVES a hot dog and the only thing he loves better is when he is allowed a campfire for roasting. So that's what we did, and I must say, we enjoyed ourselves entirely. I love time spent with this child so much, he's at a wonderful age (6) and really enjoys the outdoors. We roasted our hot dogs and then scavenged the cupboards for the last of some vegan marshmallows I had, and made smores for dessert. Not healthy at all, but it was worth it, my grandson was able to feel loved and cherished, which he is. Here are our Friday night pictures:
SmartDogs Weenie Roast

I like mine with the works, Ketchup, Mustard, Relish, Onions

Brian likes his plain, no condiments, on a bun. 
Smore's deliciousness

On Saturday morning we had to wake up, and get things moving, Brian had a baseball game at 8:30, whoever invented the early morning little league game was cruel. He had a great game though and scored his second homerun of the season. I took video, but I won't embarass myself by showing it here. My daughter said upon watching it, and hearing me overzealously cheering him on, "you do realize this is only 6 year olds right"....blah blah blah, I'll cheer if I want to. Saturday afternoon was spent gardening and getting some things done in the house. My potato plants were about on their last legs so I pulled them up, reworked the dirt and put in Butterbeans, which to my northern friends is a Lima bean. Whichever you call them, they are delicious, and one of those veggies that I don't have to use persuasion to get Brian to eat, he loves them. His baby sister Millie adores them, and will eat only that if it's allowed. We had a bit of company on Saturday afternoon which was nice and then I started to feel sick later in the day on Saturday and woke to real illness Sunday morning. My head hurt, sore throat, sick to my tummy. Not a fun morning. 

Sunday, Mother's Day, was spent quietly. I wasn't feeling well, so that was a big reason. The other is this, my two children now live far away. My youngest, my daughter lives in Australia. She moved there in November 2011 and it makes me very sad that  she's so far away, but a mom's job is to give her children wings, and she has them. She enjoys new experiences and adventures and will take on whatever she finds. My son, Brian's dad, now lives in Ohio. So it was a sad day for me not to have them close. Brian's mom, my ex-daughter-in-law, is always very mindful of that and lovingly shares those two darlings. It's nice that they live right across the road. Brian came over later in the day on Sunday and begged me to give him some basketball coaching so we went to the back for a bit. Then we watched a little tv and I sent him on his way home. In the evening I skyped (got to love technology) with my daughter and then decided to call it a night. This morning I woke feeling slightly better, head still hurts as well as my throat, but so far I've kept down my coffee. Yay!!! So, here's to a lovely weekend filled with love and the start of a busy busy week. The first week of my vegan journey has come to a close. It's been filled with delicious food and a full heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment