Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Messages from the Universe...

Often times in my life, if I actually stop, and listen, I am given the answers I need. Sometimes, I don't listen the first time, and am given the answer multiple times. I'm pretty sure I have just been given an answer to a question, it took me several times of hearing the answer, but yes universe, I have heard you. Finally. I haven't been feeling well, for the last 6 months, probably longer. I have felt tired, never refreshed after sleep, I ache, my knees hurt, and many other things, I get alot of headaches, often feel sick to my stomach and this week I have a cold that is kicking my considerable bootie. A couple of weeks ago I went to the doctor for a checkup. I have a few chronic ailments which require monitoring, high blood pressure, iron deficient anemia, asthma. So, feeling run down and concerned the anemia had flared I trodded off the the doctor. A new doctor, ARNP actually, (in the same practice) because mine had left private practice. So as many of you know the routine, we discussed how I was feeling blah blah blah. I brought up that I have been vegetarian for many years and was about to go completely vegan, and she discussed the various ways to get a complete nutrional diet. I made the comment that "I'm pretty sure that this is what I need to start feeling better". She nodded her head a bit, and said "yes a lot of people do feel much better on a plant based diet, but you should also consider eliminating sugar, it can be a real culprit especially with your symptoms." She left it at that, allowing me to absorb the info and scheduling a follow-up. On some level I heard her, but not enough, so I went about my business. In the last two weeks I have heard a couple news reports regarding research on sugar, I saw a Dr. Oz show about it and this morning I read a blog post on Crazy Sexy Life. It was a guest post in which the writer discussed the same issues and her relationship to sugar. She conveys ridding her diet of sugar like weeding a plant. As I read that, it clicked, this I could relate to and when I read:

"I love looking at a plant and finding what doesn’t need to be there, removing injured or dying flowers, branches and leaves, and cutting away the dead wood.
Taking away the useless, even harmful parts of a bush or tree help it grow stronger, create more blooms and leaves, and result in a more vibrant plant." 
It was as if the Universe were shouting it from the rooftops...well, thank you Universe, I hear you now, and I appreciate your persistence. 
This was the final message I needed to hear, so now dear friends, I must act on it, and it's not going to be easy. As I mentioned early on, I love to bake, and so I'm going to need to relearn that particular thing. I have to be realistic though, I know I'm not going to give it up, I can't. Baking is therapy to me, when things are crazy or confusing or sad, I bake. It's calming and ritualistic, and you must be completely present because it's also scientific. So I guess I'll start experimenting with unrefined sugars and flours to deal with that issue. On the larger front I need to examine the hidden sugars my body gets. It feels all a bit overwhelming, right now my head is saying ..."hey hold on there, you want me to become vegan and sugar free all at the same time?"....well, yes, I guess that's what we'll be doing body, but let's take it easy, one meal at a time as we take  this journey. We can handle that can't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment