It's already Thursday!!! The last two days have been incredibly full and busy. I've been trying to finish up a couple of projects I've got going on, canning all the goodies from my garden and of course taking care of those darling grandchildren. It all would be enough to send me running towards the nearest bag of potato chips, but you'll be happy to know I resisted. What kept me from diving head first into a bag you ask? Two things, I didn't buy any so there's none hanging around the house, and I prepared for these occasions by keeping some good things on hand in case I got super hungry or wanted a snack. Those good things were lots of fruit that I peeled, chopped etc and had waiting in bowls in the refrigerator, and Lara Bars in my cupboard and purse. Often times I find myself looking at the clock, it's 11 a.m. and I'm ravenous and realize I haven't eaten anything yet. That's actually happened a lot this week with so much going on. Luckily I was able to pull out cubes of fresh pineapple, cantaloupe, or grapes and snack on that while I prepared an easy meal. I also had cooked quite a bit over the weekend so I had things on standby in the freezer to pull out, like beet burgers, my new favorite veggie burger. I make a batch and then freeze them individually and pull them out to cook when I need a good, nutritious meal, yet I want it to taste fantastic. I'm not one of those people who can eat healthy food just for the sake of it being healthy, I need it to taste great, not just good, but great. These beet burgers fit the bill. The recipe is one I adapted from here...
http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/quarter-pounder-beet-burger. I'll let you get the recipe from that site, but I'll tell you that while I follow the basics of it, using the beets, brown rice and lentils, I changed the spices for mine to suit my own tastes. So instead of the thyme, fennel, and mustard, I use 1 tsp roasted cumin, 1 tsp ancho chili powder, 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano, 1 minced chipotle chili and 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. I also use tahini instead of the almond butter, and I make 6 burgers from it instead of 4. The rest of it remains the same including the process, because let's face it, Isa is a Goddess and I worship at her feet. These delicious burgers were on the menu today, served with green beans and potatoes from my garden and corn from the farmers market. You definitely want to try these burgers, even if you think you don't like beets, you will love these and get all the health benefits. My six year old grandson loves them, and believe me that's not an easy task to accomplish. You get to see a few of the steps to the burgers below and then a dazzling picture of the final result. Lucky you, luckier me for getting to eat it.

The Beet Burger mixture after you've combined everything. Looks shockingly like beef, but thankfully no beautiful cows were harmed in the making of these lovelies.
A stack of burgers ready for the freezer. I got this tupperware burger stacker at a yard sale for $1. I love a yard sale.
Today's delicious dinner. Beet burger on wheat bun with mustard and relish, roasted new red potatoes, green beans and corn on the cob served my favorite way with chili powder and lime squirted on it. Heaven on a plate.
Now you know how I survive busy days, being prepared. Time to go chop some mango for tomorrow, btw, I've never eaten mango before but they were on sale for $1 each at Publix. So I'm up for something new.
No comments:
Post a Comment